Blog Views

Friday 3 May 2013

Quails In The Classroom (part 1)

This week ilovemyquail is dedicated to exploring how quail can be used as an educational tool in the classroom.  This two part series will share two unique but similar stories of how quail were incorporated into the classroom. This first story was sent to me by a high school teacher who wishes to remain anonymous. Here is the email that this teacher sent me.

to: ilmqfanmail@gmail.com 

from: quailteacher@gmail.com


Dear Quail Lady,


I am finally writing you because I LOVE your quail blog. I have been a big fan from the early days of the blog and I am SO happy you are back posting. Following your blog has given me the inspiration and confidence to try the following with my own quail.

After following the hatching of your quail chicks last July I was so excited because I thought this would be a perfect way to engage my high school students in illustrating to them sexual reproduction and embryo development. (You would be surprised how many adults do not understand that not all eggs will hatch because they are not fertilized.) This week we hatched 21 eggs which was a success rate of 46%. My students have been so enthusiastic with following the development and finally the hatching of the chicks. I did not realise how small and cute the chicks could be! Thanks again for the great idea.

PS: I was a little surprised at our 46% success rate. Is that normal? If you have any other ideas on how to bring quail into my science classroom I would look forward to hearing your ideas.

Sincerely,
Q.T.
(“Quail Teacher” – student nickname)




BACKGROUND INFORMATION

This week the science department saw some extra traffic due to the hatching of quail eggs. This activity was done with the purpose of engaging students (science 9 specifically) with a hands-on, live example of sexual reproduction. To date 13 chicks hatched with one dying immediately (natural selection) after hatching. The chicks will be  taken home on Thursday afternoon. Thank you for all the interest of staff that dropped by to view the chicks.


ANNOUNCEMENT
New Staff Members:
12 Coturnix Quail chicks, one died on the job. Rumoured to have last worked at Earl Marriott, but is happy to have escaped the cramped egg-like conditions and as of Monday landed a temporary gig at Q.E.


FROM A QUAIL'S POINT OF VIEW
First impressions of Q.E.: "Love the friendly staff and students. Everyone seems to be so into us." 


PURPOSE
How are you going to contribute to Q.E.?: The students seem to be asking their science teachers lots of questions about the birds and the bees. It is our intention to have the science 9 students ace their reproduction unit.



Here are some pictures that Q.T. sent us!
















Have any Quail in the Classroom stories that you would like to share send us an email at: 
ilmqfanmail@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment